Observer services FAQs
- What is the purpose of the Observer Program?
- Am I required to carry an Observer
- Observer coverage: East coast southern bluefin tuna season
- Observer coverage: Heard Island & McDonald Islands Fishery and the Macquarie Island Toothfish Fishery
- Observer coverage: High Seas
- What are the fees involved with carrying an Observer?
- What are the requirements of operators when carrying an Observer
- What happens if I refuse or fail to carry an Observer
Where an operator refuses or fails to carry an observer as required, an ‘Observer Compliance Notice’ will be issued in relation to the boat.
The notice will specify when an observer is to be carried, such as within a specified time period, the next fishing trip, or on a specified number of fishing trips.
Failure to meet the terms of the notice may lead to suspension of the fishing concession or other enforcement action. The boat will then be removed from the Observer-friendly boat register.