Observer services FAQs
- What is the purpose of the Observer Program?
- Am I required to carry an Observer
- Observer coverage: East coast southern bluefin tuna season
- Observer coverage: Heard Island & McDonald Islands Fishery and the Macquarie Island Toothfish Fishery
- Observer coverage: High Seas
- What are the fees involved with carrying an Observer?
- What are the requirements of operators when carrying an Observer
- What happens if I refuse or fail to carry an Observer
During the east coast southern bluefin tuna season, observer coverage increases from five per cent to up to one hundred per cent depending on the amount of quota nominated to the boat.
It is the responsibility of the operator to notify AFMA that they will be fishing in the core and buffer zones. Operators must notify AFMA’s Observer duty officer on 0427 016 859 at least 72 hours before a trip into the core and buffer zones. This will allow AFMA time to relocate and place observers on board.
For more information on observer coverage within the east coast southern bluefin tuna fishery please see observer coverage in SBT Zones for ETBF Longliners.