Observer services FAQs
- What is the purpose of the Observer Program?
- Am I required to carry an Observer
- Observer coverage: East coast southern bluefin tuna season
- Observer coverage: Heard Island & McDonald Islands Fishery and the Macquarie Island Toothfish Fishery
- Observer coverage: High Seas
- What are the fees involved with carrying an Observer?
- What are the requirements of operators when carrying an Observer
- What happens if I refuse or fail to carry an Observer
One hundred per cent observer coverage is also required for trawl operators on the High Seas. This is supported by the international fishing community and by environmental risk assessments associated with High Seas trawl fishing methods. Other arrangements exist for non-trawl boats that fish on the high seas.
For non-trawl boats the first trip has mandatory coverage with 10 per cent coverage thereafter.