Please note: The Slope Resource Assessment Group was amalgamated into the South East Resource Assessment Group in 2016.
The Slope Resource Assessment Group is the key research and scientific committee for management of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery. The group provides advice to the South East Management Advisory Committee on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments.
This group provides advice on the recommended biological catch for the quota groups or species that occur on the continental slope. They also evaluate the impact over time of different harvest strategies, stock depletion and recovery rates, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Economic factors affecting the fishery are also evaluated and reported on by the group.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, fishery economists, fishery scientists and other interest groups.
Recent discussion topics
- Consider the eastern zone orange roughy assessment and provide recommended biological catch advice
- Future data requirements for the management of blue eye trevalla
- Investigate potential reasons for under caught total allowable catch
- Provide advice on the Orange Roughy Rebuilding Strategy.
Download the November 2015 SlopeRAG meeting minutes (PDF, 853 KB)
The next committee meeting is scheduled for September and October 2015.
Current research priorities
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Slope Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
Members of the committee
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2013 until 30 June 2016.
- Mr Sandy Morison, Chair
- Dr Marcus Finn, AFMA member
- Dr Geoff Tuck, scientific member
- Dr Jeremy Prince, scientific member
- Dr Sarah Jennings, economics member
- Mr Simon Boag, industry member
- Mr Tom Bibby, industry member
- Mr John Jarvis, industry member
- Mr Les Scott, industry member
Mr Ross Bromley
Tel: 02 6225 5555