The Southern Bluefin Tuna Management Advisory Committee is the principal forum where issues relating to the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery are discussed, problems identified and possible solutions developed.
It also provides an avenue for consultation between industry, managers, researchers, environment and conservation groups, and state government officers. The committee continues to be AFMA’s main source of advice on the management of the fishery. The committee holds an annual public meeting each year.
Recent discussion topics
- Proposed amendments to the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Management Plan
- Noted the outcomes of the Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna Extended Scientific Committee meeting.
- Discussed Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery upcoming research priorities.
- Progress towards accounting for all forms of mortality.
Download the September 2019 SBT MAC meeting minutes.
The next committee meeting is scheduled for September 2020.
Current research priorities
List of the current research projects related to the committee.
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the Southern Bluefin Tuna Management Advisory Committee meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 September 2019 until 30 June 2022.
- Mr Max Kitchell, Chair
- Mr Trent Timmiss, AFMA member
- Dr Bertie Hennecke, scientific member
- Mr Glenn Sant, environment/conservation member
- Mr Andrew Wilkinson, industry member
- Mr Marcus Stehr, industry member
- Mr Phil Turner, industry member
- Mr Terry Romaro, industry member
- Mr Brett Cleary, recreational/charter fishing member
- Prof Gavin Begg, state government invited participant
- Mr Brian Jeffriess, industry invited participant
- Mr David Ellis, industry invited participant
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email: sarah.kirkcaldie [at] afma.gov.au