Southern bluefin tuna zone
The location of the new SBT Zone will be implemented as of 00.01am Thursday 10 November 2016.
The current zone is located at:
The northern boundary of the SBT Zone commences at latitude 37°30’S, longitude 150°23.50’E and extends due east from the NSW/VIC border
Previous location (12 October – 9 November 2016)
The previous zone was located at:
SBT Zone: The northern boundary of the SBT Zone commences at latitude 36°00’S, longitude 150°16’E and extends due east
Management arrangements for 2016
E-monitoring is now mandatory on all full-time boats within the ETBF. For this reason, observer coverage will not apply in the fishery for 2016 and the SBT arrangements for this season have been changed. The 2016 arrangements are as follows:
- Only a single SBT zone, no core and buffer zones;
- Uncaught SBT quota must be held by operators to enter the SBT zone;
- A fully functional e-monitoring system must be onboard the vessel;
- When in the zone operators must carry 50 CDS tags onboard the vessel;
- Operators are required to complete the CCSBT Catch Documentation Scheme (CDS) logbook to enable more precise tracking of individual SBT. The fact sheet below includes more information on the CDS.
- SBT zone location will be reviewed and updated weekly.
If you are planning to target SBT, you should review the following requirement documents: