The Tropical Tuna Management Advisory Committee is the principal forum where issues relating to the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery, the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery and the Skipjack Tuna Fisheries are discussed. At these meetings, any problems are identified and possible solutions are developed.
The committee also provides an avenue for consultation between industry, managers, researchers, environment and conservation groups, and state government officers. The committee continues to be AFMA’s main source of advice on the management of these fisheries. The committee holds two public meetings each year.
Recent discussion topics
- Discussed the current status of the Eastern and Western Tuna and Billfish Fisheries and their species, both domestically and internationally.
- Discussed the draft 2015-16 cost recovered budget for the Eastern and Western Tuna and Billfish Fisheries and the Skipjack Tuna Fisheries.
- Noted the implementation of electronic monitoring in the Eastern and Western Tuna and Billfish Fisheries and the Directions.
- Noted the implementation of the Southern Bluefin Tuna management zones for another season in the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery.
Download the November 2015 meeting minutes (PDF, 538 KB).
The next meeting is scheduled for April 2016.
Current research priorities
- Data management, provision of fishery indicators and implementation of the harvest strategies for Australia’s tropical tuna fisheries.
- Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery size monitoring program 2013-2015.
- Determination of SWO growth and maturity relevant to the southwest Pacific stock.
- Developing innovative approaches to improve CPUE standardisation for Australia’s multi-species pelagic longline fisheries.
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the Tropical Tuna Management Advisory Committee past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2015 until 30 June 2018.
- Ms Catherine Barnett, Chair
- Mr Trent Timmiss, AFMA member
- Dr Robert campbell, scientific member
- Mr Peter Trott, environment/conservation member
- Mr Pavo Walker, industry member
- Mr Cathal Farrell, industry member
- Mr Paul Lavalle, industry member
- Mr Terry Romaro OAM, industry member
- Mr Grahame Williams OAM, recreational/charter fishing member
- Mr Paul Williams, industry invited participant
- Mr Gary Heilmann, industry invited participant
- Mr Ian Bladin, recreational/charter fishing invited participant
Tel: 02 6225 5555