The Tropical Tuna Management Advisory Committee is the principal forum where issues relating to the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery, the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery and the Skipjack Tuna Fisheries are discussed. At these meetings, any problems are identified and possible solutions are developed.
The committee also provides an avenue for consultation between industry, managers, researchers, environment and conservation groups, and state government officers. The committee continues to be AFMA’s main source of advice on the management of these fisheries. The committee holds two public meetings each year.
Recent discussion topics
- Discussed outcomes from recent Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission and Indian Ocean Tuna Commission meetings.
- Discussed the 2017 Cost Recovery Impact Statement (CRIS) and 2017/18 budget.
- Discussed development of the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Ecological Risk Assessment and Fishery Management Strategy.
Download the 16 November 2017 meeting minutes (PDF, 706 KB).
The next meeting is scheduled for April 2018.
Current research priorities
- Data management, provision of fishery indicators and implementation of the harvest strategies for Australia’s tropical tuna fisheries.
- Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery size monitoring program 2018-2021.
- Determination of SWO growth and maturity relevant to the southwest Pacific stock.
- Developing innovative approaches to improve CPUE standardisation for Australia’s multi-species pelagic longline fisheries.
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the Tropical Tuna Management Advisory Committee past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2015 until 30 June 2018.
- Ms Catherine Sayer, Chair
- Mr Trent Timmiss, AFMA member
- Dr Robert campbell, scientific member
- Mr Peter Trott, environment/conservation member
- Mr Pavo Walker, industry member
- Mr Cathal Farrell, industry member
- Mr Paul Lavalle, industry member
- Mr Terry Romaro OAM, industry member
- Mr Grahame Williams OAM, recreational/charter fishing member
- Mr David Ellis, industry invited participant
- Mr Brian Jeffriess AM, industry invited participant
- Mr Paul Williams, industry invited participant
- Mr Gary Heilmann, industry invited participant
- Mr Ian Bladin, recreational/charter fishing invited participant
- Mr Phil Bolton, State Government invited participant
Tel: 02 6225 5555