The Scallop Management Advisory Committee is the principle forum where issues relating to the Bass Strait Central Zone Scallop Fishery are discussed, problems identified and possible solutions developed.
The committee is advised by the Scallop Resource Assessment Group on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments.
It also provides an avenue for consultation between industry, managers, researchers, environment and conservation groups, and state government officers. The committee continues to be AFMA’s main source of advice on the management of the fishery.
The next committee meeting will be early March 2023.
- Research surveys to estimate scallop biomass
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the Scallop Management Advisory Committee past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 May 2021 until 31 March 2024.
- Dr Daryl McPhee, Chair
- Dr Lara Ainley, AFMA member
- Professor Brendan Kelaher, scientific member
- Mr Peter Mellios, industry member
- Mr John Hammond, industry member
- Mr Stuart Richey, industry member
- Mr Andrew Watts, industry member
- Mr John Cull, industry member
- Mr Julian Morison, economic member
- Dr Sylvia Zukowski, environment/conservation member