The Tropical Tuna Management Advisory Committee is the principal forum where issues relating to the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery, the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery and the Skipjack Tuna Fisheries are discussed. At these meetings, any problems are identified and possible solutions are developed.
The committee also provides an avenue for consultation between industry, managers, researchers, environment and conservation groups, and state government officers. The committee continues to be AFMA’s main source of advice on the management of these fisheries. The committee holds two public meetings each year.
- Discussed outcomes from recent Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission and Indian Ocean Tuna Commission meetings.
- Discussed the 2017 Cost Recovery Impact Statement (CRIS) and 2017/18 budget.
- Discussed development of the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Ecological Risk Assessment and Fishery Management Strategy.
See the Tropical Tuna and Billfish Fisheries Management Advisory Committee TTMAC 28 minutes – 11 October 2022.
The next meeting will be in mid 2023 (date and location to be advised).
- Data management, provision of fishery indicators and implementation of the harvest strategies for Australia’s tropical tuna fisheries.
- Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery size monitoring program 2018-2021.
- Determination of SWO growth and maturity relevant to the southwest Pacific stock.
- Developing innovative approaches to improve CPUE standardisation for Australia’s multi-species pelagic longline fisheries.
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the Tropical Tuna Management Advisory Committee past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2021 until 30 June 2024.
- Ms Catherine Sayer – Chair
- Ms Selina Stoute – Senior Manager, Tuna and International Fisheries, AFMA member
- Mr Pavo Walker – industry member
- Mr Terry Romaro OAM – industry member
- Mr Gary Heilmann – industry member
- Mr David Ellis – industry member
- Dr Ashley Williams – research member
- Mr Grahame Williams OAM – recreational/charter fishing member
- Mr Ian Bladin – recreational/charter fishing invited participant
- Mr Brian Jeffriess AM – industry invited participant
- Mr Chad Lunow – State representative invited participant
- TBD – conservation member