The Northern Prawn Fishery Management Advisory Committee is the main forum for discussing fisheries management issues relating to the Northern Prawn Fishery, identifying problems and developing possible solutions. The committee provides management advice to the AFMA Commission and AFMA management on efficient and cost effective fisheries management.
The committee provides an opportunity for consultation between industry, managers, researchers, environment and conservation groups, and state government officers.
The Northern Prawn Fishery Resource Assessment Group provides scientific advice to the committee, AFMA management and the AFMA Commission. The committee uses this advice to inform their management advice.
Recent discussion topics
The Northern Prawn Fishery Management Advisory Committee held one videoconference meeting in 2020 to recommend a harvest control rule for the Redleg Banana Prawn sub-fishery, review the NPF Performance Monitoring Report 2020, discuss the NPF Adjustment Framework, and endorse proposed amendments to the NPF Management Plan.
The next committee meeting will be held in February 2021.
Current research priorities
Current research priorities identified for the Northern Prawn Fishery:
- stock assessments which are used to set the total allowable effort for tiger, common and Redleg Banana prawns in accordance with the Northern Prawn Fishery Harvest Strategy
- fishery independent surveys
- collection and analysis of crew member and scientific observer data to confirm it meets criteria for use in monitoring populations of protected and at-risk species
- ongoing research to identify devices and techniques to enhance bycatch reduction, and respond to changes in bycatch policy
- river flow impacts on the fishery, and
- research to better understand sawfish biology, population dynamics, and measures to mitigate sawfish interactions.
Research priorities for the fishery are detailed in the Northern Prawn Fishery annual and strategic research plans.
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the Northern Prawn Fishery Management Advisory Committee past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 30 June 2018 until 1 July 2021.
- Mr John Glaister, Chair
- Mr Steve Bolton, AFMA member
- Mr Ian Knuckey, research member
- Jo-anne McCrea, environment/conservation member
- Mr Arthur Raptis, industry member
- Mr David Carter, industry member
- Mr Gregory Albert, industry member
- Mr Ian Boot, industry member
- Mr Ron Earle, industry member
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email: Stephen.eves [at] afma.gov.au