The Northern Prawn Resource Assessment Group is the research and scientific committee for management of the Northern Prawn Fishery. The group provides advice to the AFMA, the Commission and the Northern Prawn Management Advisory Committee on the status of target stocks (including the type of information and research needed to support the stock assessments) and on fishing impacts upon byproduct, bycatch and the marine environment.
The group also evaluates alternative harvest options like the impact over time of different harvest strategies, effort levels, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Economic factors affecting the fishery are a key consideration for the assessments.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, economists, scientists and other interest groups.
Recent discussion topics
- Review of the NPF data/monitoring plan
- Updates to the tiger prawn stock assessment
- Progress report on the fishing power, species split, Redleg banana prawn MSE, and Models of Intermediate Complexity for Ecosystem assessment (MICE) projects
- Review of sawfish bycatch and the fishery's bycatch strategy
- Review of the draft Ecological Risk Assessment (ERA)
- Review of the fishery's harvest strategy approach for byproduct species
- Review of research priorities
The next committee meeting is scheduled for 17-18 November 2020 via teleconference.
Current research priorities
- assessment of target species
- recruitment and spawning surveys
- analysis of observer data
- bycatch reduction
- river flow impacts.
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Northern Prawn Fishery Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
Members are appointed until 31 March 2021.
- Dr Ian Knuckey, Chair
- Mr Rik Buckworth, research member
- Mr David Brewer, research member
- Mr Ian Boot, industry member
- Mr Phil Robson, industry member
- Dr Tom Kompas, economics member
- Ms Darci Wallis, AFMA member
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email:Stephen.Eves [at] afma.gov.au