The Northern Prawn Resource Assessment Group is the research and scientific committee for management of the Northern Prawn Fishery. The group provides advice to the AFMA, the Commission and the Northern Prawn Management Advisory Committee on the status of target stocks (including the type of information and research needed to support the stock assessments) and on fishing impacts upon byproduct, bycatch and the marine environment.
The group also evaluates alternative harvest options like the impact over time of different harvest strategies, effort levels, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Economic factors affecting the fishery are a key consideration for the assessments.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, economists, scientists and other interest groups.
Recent discussion topics
- review of recent NPF tiger prawn catch and effort data and the fishery independent survey data
- results of the banana prawn Maximum Economic Yield (MEY) harvest control rule trigger
- consideration of expert advice to supplement information used in the fishery's ecological risk assessment (ERA)
- monitoring of sawfish interaction trends and current research targeted at mitigating interactions
- results of the recent Redleg Banana Prawn stock assessment and a review of the draft Harvest Strategy
- review of research priorities
- progress update on the MICE project, species split project, mangrove regrowth following the 2015-16 dieback, and Northern waters developments.
The next committee meeting is scheduled for November 2021.
Current research priorities
- assessment of target species
- recruitment and spawning surveys
- analysis of observer data
- bycatch reduction
- river flow impacts.
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Northern Prawn Fishery Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
The Chair is appointed until 1 March 2024 and Members are appointed until 31 March 2024.
- Dr Ian Knuckey, Chair
- Mr Rik Buckworth, research member
- Mr David Brewer, research member
- Mr Ian Boot, industry member
- Mr Phil Robson, industry member
- Dr Tom Kompas, economics member
- Ms Darci Wallis, AFMA member
- Dr Éva Plagányi, research member
- Mr Bryan van Wyk, industry member
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email: darci.wallis [at] afma.gov.au