The Northern Prawn Resource Assessment Group is the research and scientific committee for management of the Northern Prawn Fishery. The group provides advice to the AFMA, the Commission and the Northern Prawn Management Advisory Committee on the status of target stocks (including the type of information and research needed to support the stock assessments) and on fishing impacts upon byproduct, bycatch and the marine environment.
The group also evaluates alternative harvest options like the impact over time of different harvest strategies, effort levels, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Economic factors affecting the fishery are a key consideration for the assessments.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, economists, scientists and other interest groups.
Recent discussion topics
- A review of the Commonwealth Harvest Strategy and Bycatch Strategy policies and the changes required to align the NPF management arrangements with these overarching policies
- A progress update on the fishery’s Ecological Risk Assessment (ERA)
- Assessment options for Black Tiger Prawns
- Research to understand sawfish population dynamics and updated protected species management arrangements
- Discussion on the research project ‘Adaptation of Commonwealth Fisheries to Climate Change’
- Review of recent stock assessments
- Review of the fishery’s research priorities
- Review of the fishery’s scientific observer data collection protocols
The next committee meeting is scheduled for August 2019.
Current research priorities
- assessment of target species
- recruitment and spawning surveys
- analysis of observer data
- bycatch reduction
- river flow impacts.
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Northern Prawn Fishery Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
Members are appointed until 31 March 2021.
- Dr Ian Knuckey, Chair
- Mr Rik Buckworth, research member
- Mr David Brewer, research member
- Mr Ian Boot, industry member
- Mr Phil Robson, industry member
- Dr Tom Kompas, economics member
- Mr David Power, AFMA member
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email:Stephen.Eves [at] afma.gov.au