The South East Management Advisory Committee is the overarching committee that provides management advice to AFMA for the following fisheries:
- Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery (including the Gillnet Hook and Trap Sector and the South Eastern Trawl Sector)
- Small Pelagic Fishery
- Southern Squid Jig Fishery
SEMAC provides management advice to the AFMA Commission and AFMA management on efficient and cost effective fisheries management, and provides an avenue for consultation between industry, policy, conservation, state and territory governments, recreational and research fields.
SEMAC receives scientific advice from the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery Resource Assessment group, Squid Resource Assessment Group, Small Pelagic Fishery Scientific Panel and Stakeholder Forums, Shelf Resource Assessment Group, Slope Resource Assessment Group and the Shark Resource Assessment Group. The committee uses this scientific advice to inform their management advice.
The date of the next meeting will be advised shortly
Current research priorities
Further information on the current research priorities for the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery, the Small Pelagic Fishery and the Southern Squid Jig Fishery can be found under the ‘Fishery Publications’ tab of each fisheries web page.
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the South East Management Advisory Committee past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2022
- Dr David McGlennon, Chair
- Mr George Day, AFMA member
- Dr Michael Steer, research member
- Ms Anissa Lawrence, environment/conservation member
- Mr Simon Boag, industry member
- Mr Will Mures, industry member
- Mr Gerry Geen, industry member
- Mr Shane Dugins, industry member
- Ms Debbie Wisby, invited industry participant
- TBC invited state government participant
- Dr Sarah Jennings, scientific member-economics
Email: belinda.norris [at] afma.gov.au