The Great Australian Bight Management Advisory Committee (GABMAC) is the principle forum where issues relating to the Great Australian Bight Trawl Sector of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery are discussed, problems identified and possible solutions developed.
The committee is advised by the Great Australian Bight Resource Assessment Group on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments.
It also provides an avenue for consultation between industry, managers, researchers, environment/conservation and state government officers. The committee continues to be AFMA’s main source of advice on the management of the sector.
Recent discussion topics
- future co-management arrangements for the fishery
- management of western gemfish
- Great Australian Bight decision rules.
Download the December 2018 GABMAC meeting minutes (PDF)
The next committee meeting will be held in December 2019.
Current research priorities
- assessment of target species
- Integrated Scientific Monitoring Program
- seabird mitigation measures in trawl fisheries.
Past decisions and outcomes can be found on the Great Australian Bight Management Advisory Committee past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2019 until 30 June 2022.
- Mr Barry Windle, Chair
- Mr Daniel Corrie, AFMA member
- Mr Lance Lloyd, research member
- Ms Anissa Lawrence, environment/conservation member
- Mr Neil McDonald, industry member
- Mrs Marcia Valente, industry member
- Mr Jim Raptis, industry member
Email: kehani.manson [at] afma.gov.au