The Great Australian Bight Resource Assessment Group is the key research and scientific committee for management of the Great Australian Bight Trawl Sector of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery.
The group provides advice to the Great Australian Bight Management Advisory Committee on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments. They also evaluate the impact over time of different harvest strategies, stock depletion and recovery rates, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Compliance and economic factors affecting the fishery are also evaluated and reported on by the group.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, fishery economists, fishery scientists and other interest groups.
Recent discussion topics
- Industry proposal on the Kangaroo Hill Closure
- Western gemfish stock assessment
Download the December 2018 GABRAG minutes (PDF)
The next meeting is scheduled for 31 October - 1 November.
Current research priorities
- assessment of target species
- Integrated Scientific Monitoring Program
- seabird mitigation measures in trawl fisheries.
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Great Australian Bight Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2019 until 30 June 2022.
- Mr Lance Lloyd, Chair
- Mr Daniel Corrie, AFMA member
- Dr Robert Gale, economic member
- Dr Ian Knuckey, scientific member
- Mr Neil McDonald, industry member
- Ms Marcia Valente, industry member
- Mr Jim Raptis, industry member
- Mr Anthony Moore, scientific member
Email: kehani.manson [at] afma.gov.au