The South East Resource Assessment Group (SERAG) is the key research and scientific committee for management of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery. The group provides advice to the South East Management Advisory Committee (SEMAC) on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments.
This group provides advice on the recommended biological catch for the quota groups or species that occur on the continental shelf and slope. They also evaluate the impact over time of different harvest strategies, stock depletion and recovery rates, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Economic factors affecting the fishery are also evaluated and reported on by the group.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, fishery economists, fishery scientists and other interest groups. SERAG was formed in 2016 as an amalgamation of the former ShelfRAG and SlopeRAG.
Recent discussion topics
- consider stock assessment for the 2019-20 fishing season for TAC setting purposes
- consider research priorities for the 2019-20 SESSF Annual Research Statement
- consider management strategies for all rebuilding species
- consider Ecological Risk Assessments for otter board trawl and danish seine methods
The next meeting is scheduled for September 2019.
Current research priorities
- integrated scientific monitoring program
- fish ageing for the SESSF to support stock assessments
- determining why some TACs in the SESSF are under caught
Members are appointed for the period 1 August 2016 until 30 June 2019.
- Mr Sandy Morison, Chair
- Mr Daniel Corrie, AFMA member
- Dr Geoff Tuck, scientific member
- Mr Andrew Penney, scientific member
- Dr Rik Buckworth, scientific member
- Dr Simon Nicol, scientific member (ABARES)
- Dr Sarah Jennings, scientific (economics) member
- Mr Simon Boag, industry member
- Mr John Jarvis, industry member
- Mr Ross Winstanley, recreational member
Lakes Entrance Office
Tel: 0408 664 159
Email: mardi.albert [at] afma.gov.au