The South East Resource Assessment Group (SERAG) is the key research and scientific committee for management of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery. The group provides advice to the South East Management Advisory Committee (SEMAC) on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments.
This group provides advice on the recommended biological catch for the quota groups or species that occur on the continental shelf and slope. They also evaluate the impact over time of different harvest strategies, stock depletion and recovery rates, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Economic factors affecting the fishery are also evaluated and reported on by the group.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, fishery economists, fishery scientists and other interest groups. SERAG was formed in 2016 as an amalgamation of the former ShelfRAG and SlopeRAG.
Current discussion topics
- stock assessments for the 2021-22 fishing season for TAC setting purposes
- stock assessments for school whiting, redfish, john dory, mirror dory and oreo smooth other
- western orange roughy research plan
- research priorities for the 2022-23 SESSF Annual Research Statement
- review management strategies for all rebuilding species and update the orange roughy rebuilding strategy
- consider Ecological Risk Assessments for otter board trawl and danish seine methods
The next meetings are scheduled for October, November and December 2020.
Current research priorities
- integrated scientific monitoring program
- fish ageing for the SESSF to support stock assessments
- eastern school whiting stock structure
- western orange roughy data collection
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2019 until 30 June 2022.
- Dr Michael Steer, Chair
- Mr Daniel Corrie, AFMA member
- Dr Geoff Tuck, scientific member
- Mr Andrew Penney, scientific member
- Dr Ian Knuckey, scientific member
- Mr James Woodhams, scientific member (ABARES)
- Dr Sarah Jennings, scientific (economics) member
- Mr Simon Boag, industry member
- Mr Daniel Hogan, industry member
- Mr John Jarvis, industry member
- Mr Ross Winstanley, recreational member
Ms Mardi Albert
AFMA - Lakes Entrance Office
Tel: 0408 664 159
Email: mardi.albert [at] afma.gov.au