The Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery Resource Assessment Group (SESSFRAG) is the key research and scientific committee for management of the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery.
The Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery is a multi-sector, multi-species fishery and includes the following sectors:
- Commonwealth south east trawl sector
- East coast deepwater trawl sector
- Gillnet, hook and trap sector (includes: scalefish hook sector, shark hook sector, the shark gillnet sector and the trap sector)
- Great Australian Bight trawl sector.
The group provides advice to the South East Management Advisory Committee on the status of fish stocks, sub-stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments. They also evaluate the impact over time of different harvest strategies, stock depletion and recovery rates, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Compliance and economic factors affecting the fishery are also evaluated and reported on by the group.
The group meets twice a year holding a Chair’s meeting and a data and research meeting. At the Chair’s meeting, the group reviews the previous years assessments for each quota species and general research priorities for the fishery. At the data and research meeting, they consider data summaries for each quota species to be used in assessments and research priorities for the fishery.
The group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, fishery economists, fishery scientists and other interest groups.
The group provides oversight and recommendations to the following groups:
- Great Australian Bight Resource Assessment Group
- Shark Resource Assessment Group
- Shelf Resource Assessment Group
- Slope Resource Assessment Group
These groups provide recommended biological catches for the 34 species, or species groups, under total allowable catch across the fishery, as well as more general recommendations on fishery-related research.
Recent discussion topics
- Review of 2015 data for assessments
- SESSF 2017-18 annual research plan
- How to use MCMC’s in stock assessments
Download the March 2018 meeting minutes (PDF, 862KB)
The next meeting is scheduled for 7-8 August 2017
Current research priorities
- Assessment of target species
- Under-caught TACs
- Non-recovering stocks
- Integrated Scientific Monitoring Program
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2016 until 30 June 2019.
- Dr Cathy Dichmont, Chair
- Mr George Day, AFMA member
- Mr Lance Lloyd, research member (Great Australian Bight RAG Chair)
- Mr Sandy Morrison, research member (SERAG/SharkRAG Chair)
- Dr Sarah Jennings, economics member
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email: giverny.rodgers [at] afma.gov.au