The Tropical Tuna Resource Assessment Group is the key research and scientific committee for management of the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery and the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery. The Tropical Tuna Resource Assessment Group was formed in 2010 and two or three meetings are generally held each year.
The group provides advice to the Tropical Tuna Management Advisory Committee on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments. They also evaluate the impact over time of different harvest strategies, stock depletion and recovery rates, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Compliance and economic factors affecting the fishery are also evaluated and reported on by the group.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, fishery economists, fishery scientists and other interest groups.
Latest decisions and outcomes
- Discussion on stock structure of Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery (ETBF) target species.
- Formation of the Recommended Biological Commercial Catch advice.
Download the September 2018 TTRAG minutes.
The next meeting is scheduled for March 2019.
Current research projects
- Data management, provision of fishery indicators and implementation of the harvest strategies for Australia’s tropical tuna fisheries.
- Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery size monitoring program 2016 onwards.
- Determination of Swordfish growth and maturity relevant to the southwest Pacific stock.
- Developing innovative approaches to improve Catch Per Unit Effort (CPUE) standardisation for Australia’s multi-species pelagic longline fisheries.
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Tropical Tuna Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2016 until 30 June 2019.
- Dr Cathy Dichmont, Chair
- Dr Don Bromhead, AFMA member
- Dr Robert Campbell, scientific member
- Dr James Larcombe, scientific member
- Dr Rich Hillary, scientific member
- Professor John Tisdell, scientific member (economist)
- Dr Julian Pepperell, scientific member (recreational/charter fishing)
- Mr John Abbott, industry member
- Mr Gary Heilmann, industry member
- Mr Pavo Walker, industry member
- Mr David Ellis, industry invited participant
- Mr Paul Williams, industry invited participant
A/g Executive Officer
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email: amelinda.byrne [at] afma.gov.au