The Sub-Antarctic Resource Assessment Group is the key research and scientific committee for management of the Heard Island and McDonald Islands Fishery and Macquarie Island Toothfish Fishery.
The group provides advice to the Sub-Antarctic Management Advisory Committee on the status of fish stocks, sub stocks, species (target and non-target), the impact of fishing on the marine environment and the type of information needed for stock assessments. They also evaluate the impact over time of different harvest strategies, stock depletion and recovery rates, confidence levels for fishery assessments and risks to the success of fishery objectives. Compliance and economic factors affecting the fishery are also evaluated and reported on by the group.
This group provides an avenue for consultation between industry members, fishery managers, fishery economists, fishery scientists and other interest groups.
Recent discussion topics
- Fishery Assessment Plans.
- Extension of Macquarie Island Toothfish Fishery longline season.
- Patagonian Toothfish stock assessment
Download the March 2020 meeting minutes.
The next meeting is scheduled for 8 September 2020.
Current research priorities
- Development of robust assessment methods and harvest strategies for spatially complex, multi-jurisdictional toothfish fisheries in the Southern Ocean
- Heard Island and McDonald Islands Fishery random stratified trawl survey
- Development of management strategy evaluation for the Macquarie Island Toothfish Fishery.
Past minutes, recommendations and advice can be found on the Sub-Antarctic Resource Assessment Group past meetings page.
Members are appointed for the period 1 July 2019 until 30 June 2022.
- Professor Malcolm Haddon, Chair
- Mr Brodie Macdonald, AFMA member
- Dr Dirk Welsford, scientific member
- Dr Philippe Ziegler, scientific member
- Dr Jemery Day, scientific member
- Dr Rich Hillary, scientific member
- Mr Malcolm McNeill, industry member
- Ms Heather Patterson, government observer
Tel: 02 6225 5555
Email: sarah.kirkcaldie [at] afma.gov.au